How to track if my shares in stocks still there?

August 6, 2012 | By Fitz | Filed in: Personal Finance.

Hi Fritz,

I wonder if you could help us, my friend is asking how he can track his grandfather’s share. They lost the certificate long time ago so they don’t have a proof or copy. They don’t have the account number and they don’t know if it still exist. Also, his grandfather died last year so we can’t ask more info. I am thinking, he might have listed his beneficiary and might be that we can ask the company providing his grandfather’s account name but I dont know if that would be possible and if for some reason they might not provide the info because they are trying to protect their client’s account which I fully understand. Would there be possibility we can provide some other proof that can help him track his grandfather’s account? Please share your insights. Thank you and God Bless. 



3 Responses to “How to track if my shares in stocks still there?”

  1. Fitz says:

    Just go to the main office of the company and talk to the person in charge of the shareholders’ concerns.

    One warning though, without any proof, it’s going to be really hard for the company to give you the necessary information – but it’s still worth a try.

    Do bring a copy of the death certificate, and proof of relationship. Also, if possible – any proof that your grandfather was a shareholder. Any letter from the company addressed to your grandfather (annual report, shareholder memo, invitation to shareholder’s meeting, etc.) – would be sufficient to merit action from the company, in my opinion.

    Asking supporting documents from his stock broker, if you know, would also greatly help.

  2. ChrisTiPiD says:

    coordinate with the investor relations officer of the company.

  3. Vicky Medida says:

    Hello Fitz, I want to invest some of my extra money in stocks like Ayala ,PLDT. My problem is I don’t know where will I go. Do I have to go there their main office or go to the banks. Please help.

Leave a Reply